La Divisa - April 2011

This was the month that the roof finally came off!  We have been plagued with a series of annoying leaks caused by poor work by the original builders.  All our efforts at fixing it have failed and we finally decided the only thing to do was to replace the roof.  These photos document the process.

Roof_2.jpg (111175 bytes) Roof_3.jpg (117867 bytes) Roof_4.jpg (166811 bytes) Roof_5.jpg (196662 bytes) Roof_6.jpg (247263 bytes)
On Day 1 the team assembled to start work The first thing to do was remove all the stones These were sent down a chute and piled in a heap Next was to break up the capping around the edges to expose the plastic and prepare for its removal
Roof_7.jpg (197537 bytes) Roof_1.jpg (179862 bytes) Roof_11.jpg (156413 bytes) Roof_8.jpg (189605 bytes) Roof_9.jpg (188051 bytes)
All of this material had to be removed from the roof This operation exposed the plastic and showed areas which will have leaked Frankly there were so many repairs it was little surprise we had problems The new roof would require quite a lot of new material - this is some of it Which had to be stored in dry conditions
Roof_10.jpg (230032 bytes) Roof_12.jpg (144890 bytes) Roof_13.jpg (137226 bytes) Roof_14.jpg (142694 bytes) Roof_15.jpg (155119 bytes)
The empty skip was left so the rubble could be removed The plastic membrane was cleared away and the rook swept clean Edging slates were left intact and cleaned thoroughly So that new slate strips could be applied  Cutting slate is a messy job so we covered the solar panels
Roof_16.jpg (163728 bytes) Roof_18.jpg (109421 bytes) Roof_19.jpg (128330 bytes) Roof_20.jpg (116661 bytes) Roof_21.jpg (125481 bytes)
Next part of the operation was Gabriel, the local urethane man We had decided to apply a coating of PU foam for thermal insulation And at the end we had a very fine looking roof Next was to apply a concrete layer to "profile" roof and ensure proper drainage Drain pipes were fitted in all four corners
Roof_22.jpg (198291 bytes) Roof_24.jpg (176437 bytes) Roof_25.jpg (168388 bytes) Roof_26.jpg (184326 bytes) Roof_28.jpg (161754 bytes)
So water can drain away as quickly as possible Then a very skilled worker set up the angles And carefully applied the concrete The finished job was clearly going to be effective The roof was then covered with thick polyester fibre
Roof_29.jpg (130328 bytes) Roof_30.jpg (97121 bytes) Roof_31.jpg (63136 bytes) Roof_32.jpg (97364 bytes) Roof_33.jpg (170609 bytes)
And then a layer of PVC sheet - the waterproof barrier This time, instead of glue the plastic was thermally joined And great care was taken to ensure there were no holes More polyester fibre was then laid on top And a final layer of concrete protects the PVC from damage
Return to Front Page